Pages

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Book Review: All you Need to be Impossibly French

I was wandering through McKay's when this book caught me eye. As some of you know I am taking French right now and I found this very intriguing.

Title: All you Need to be Impossibly French: A Witty Investigation into the Lives, Lusts, and Little Secrets of French Women
Author: Helena Frith Powell
Number of Pages: 240 pages
Publisher: Plume
Genre: Nonfiction-Sociology
Rating:

The book is about a British woman living in Paris, France investigating what gives the French women the je ne sais quoi (the phrase literally means: I don't know what) that they seem to have. It is a wonderful book to read.

It is not a how to put make up on book, what to wear, or how to act in public book. This book simply talks about how to have (or at least understand) the french attitude, personality. What they think about food, fashion, friends, and men.

You join Powell as she goes on this journey to learn more about the the their eating habits, when they start wearing makeup, shaving(11, 12 sometimes as young as 9!), their obsession with staying thin, and how having affairs is as normal as having wine at multiple meals and is easy as going to a person and saying hello (literally in France people will straight up ask you, "Do you want to sleep with me?").

The amount of lingerie shops(tasteful and sexy, not skanky!) they have it is said is equal to the number of cheese shops they are supposed to have and the french love their chesse. At least that is the impression I was given thanks to this book. Or how about how French men would rather not have a french women! I know, to all of us this is shocking.

I won't give away any more, you will just have to go out and find out yourself!

This book is for everyone who is interested in the French women and how they live, you should definitely read this. It is well written, easy to follow, and one of those books you can finish in one sitting, although I recommend that you didn't do that. Very enjoyable.

If anyone wants to see my thoughts on this book just take a look on my french blog.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails