Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Thursday, June 24, 2010
I was just browsing through people's blogs and I came across this link. It was a youtube vid about the USSR national anthem. Listening to it, oh it gives me chills.
Now I never lived during the time of when Communist Russia began, but I did have ancestors that lived in territories that were under USSR control. My ancestors came from what is modern day Ukraine and Slovakia. Now I don't know how the area of Slovakia was affected but I do know a little bit about Ukraine. Stalin and his Soviet Union was responsible for something far worse then the Holocaust in my opinion. The numbers even state this.
I'm talking about the Unkrainian Genocide.
I'm guessing you never heard of it. Neither did I untill a year ago. I was watching Glenn Becks show and I learned more about it. But that topic will be in my next post.
Seeing this is really bothersome for me. Yes I know I have the right not to watch and and people have to right to put it up, cause of our Consititution. Nevertheless. Seeing and hearing the Soviet Union's National Anthem- talking about how people are free and that they are a great communists nation in the same sentence...its like hearing Hitler and hero in the same sentence for me. It doesn't make sense. I advise you to listen to it and see how they made themselves look and how they wanted to have themselves viewed.
This link is to the communists party in America!!! Did you know we had one, I knew....but I didn't think how troubling they were.
But more then that...please...please look up information about the soviet union. Don't just believe anyone the politicians, your professors, me. Think for yourself. Learn the true history of it all.
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
This is What I have Read so far:
- The Bad Queen ~Carolyn Meyer
- A Child of Hitler~ Alfons Heck
- Sybil ~ Flora Rheat Schreiber
...I need to get a move on. Although with taking classes and reading a lot there, I'm sure its understandable that I have read beyond that class.
Here are the books that I want to read that I have so far:
- Rebel Women of the Gold Rush: Extrodinary Achievements and Daring Adventures ~ Rich Mole
- Remember the Ladies: The First Women's Rights Convention ~ Norma Johnston
- Setting the Record Straight: American History in Black & White ~ David Barton
- Samuel Adams: A Life ~ Ira Stoll
- Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Loves Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them ~ Francine Prose (love the last name...fitting for the book)
- Ladies of Liberty: The Women who Shaped our Nation ~ Cokie Roberts
- The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream ~ Barack Obama ( I can't believe I'm going to read this but I can't critcize a book if I haven't read it, even though I know I might gage from reading it)
- The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity ~ Wm. Paul Young
- Republic ~ Plato
- Vanity Fair ~ William Makepeace Thackeray
- Dearest Friend: A Life of Abigail Adams
- Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies ~ Jared Diamond
- George Washington's Sacred Fire ~ Peter A. Lillback with Jerry Newcombs
- How to Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Read Between the Lines
- A Severe Mercy (With Eighteen Letters)~ Sheldon Vanauken
- Narrative of the Life of Federick Douglass, an American Slave~ Federick Douglass
- My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and John Adams ~ Edited by Margaret A. Hogan & C. James Taylor
- The Color Purple ~ Alice Walker
- The Three Musketeers ~ Alexandre Dumas
- The Man in the Iron Mask ~ Alexandre Dumas
- The Guardian ~ Nicholas Sparks
- The Princess Bride: S. Morganstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure ~ William Goldman
- A Tale of Two Cities ~ Charles Dickens
- What Could He Be Thinking? : How a Man's Mind Really Works ~ Michael Gurian
- The Lovely Bones ~ Alice Sebold
- Essential Dialogues of Plato
- Dracula ~ Bram Stoker
- Grimm's Fiary Tales
- Eight Plays (all by Henrik Ibsen)
- Cold Sassy Tree ~ Olive Ann Burns
So these are the list of books I want to try to get to this summer...I know I need to get going. And if you are wondering I have more books then the ones listed above...I just know I can't list all of them.
The Books that I am reading are:
- The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writer's ~ Christopher Vogler
- The Overton Window ~ Glenn Beck
- Founding Mothers: The Women who Raised our Nation ~ Cokie Roberts
- The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette ~ Carolly Erickson
So I hope I will be able to get to this. I was thinking about writing a book review on the books I have read...but I have to get to the reading for my class tomorrow. Maybe I will do that later tonight before I go to bed.
Overall I have been enjoying this class. Everynight I have to read about 50 pages of reading for the next day, it just depends. I also usually read more about the background of the author and other writings that our porfessor says that we don't have to read it, but she recommends it. So I take no chances, so I can be prepared at the end of the day.
I have had some annoyances while in this class, actually just one continuing annoyance. There is a girl next to me that rarely pays attention in class, she always is trying to copy other people's notes (as a result of her texting on the phone and not paying attention) highlights her book to the point where the page is moslty bright flourescent yellow (no one taught this girl how to use a higlighter) and this girl is going to be finished at the end of this summer at this community college.... really I know people get lazy at times I understand, but with her attitude and how she talks, she did this the entire time!!!! I know its a community college and it will get harder and blah, blah. But this girl is the kind to repeat questions in class that goes something like, "Wait...huh...w-w-what page was that on? Wait I don't see that, what page did you say it was? Umm what did you say the answer was?" And on and on. I sit next to an idiot and she keeps sitting next to me! I know I could move, but I like being close to the front.
Anyway, this class besides dealing with stupid girl has been a lot of fun, people might groan at that but I love literature, I have my own library(that's for another post). My favorite readings that we have done is:
- Benjamin Franklin's Autobio( a part of it)
- Anne Hutchinson's stuff
- Frederick Douglass Narrative (a part of it)
I found these works my favorites, I found it to be inspiring and brilliant. I didn't agree with everything the professor said not because of my own personal beliefs, but because she was going on feelings of the what she got from the text, not using history of that person to interpret the text. Like with Benjamin Franklin, she said that he was that not much of a believer in God. Thats not true, you could say he would be considered a modern day non denomination Christian of sorts. For we were talking all about the His list of 13 virtues; she said he used them for money making puposes???? What!?!?!?!?!? Okay He did this, mostly because he wanted to be a better person and also ( this part Im not as sure of, cause I'm trying to recollect some research I had done a while back) because he knew that since he had trouble believing in the divinty of God, he thought that by practicing these virtues he may become a better person and maybe have a better understanding of God. But then again she is allowed to have her own opinion and I do respect her a great deal. Besides this, I really haven't had any moments that make me go Huh?
Now the one thing I learned a lot about was Frederick Dourglass. I admire that man, he is very brave and strong to have dealt with what he did. I am so glad I was able to read a part of it. I will be reading the full Narrative in the Future, I already bought it.
Back to the class itself....
So far in this class I have gotten 2 B's on 2 exams. An 88 & an 81. I have a strong B in thsi class. I am very proud of myself. And I have only missed one class; despite the fact that it is 8:00 every morning. I guess it helps that I'm home and I have my mom to tell me to get my butt up. ( :P )
Anywho I have just turned in my paper into this class this past Mon. and I will be taking the final exam next Mon. I hope I can get my grade up to a strong A!!
I'm also thinking of taking another class in the next session, American Literature II. I hope I wiil be able to take it. I know it may be shorter, but so far I was able to do real well, hopefully I can get it up to an A with the last test. I just have to do real well. Either way, I will be really proud of myself.
Well wish my luck with the coming exam next Mon!!